I have an affinity for lemon. There's something about it's clean, fresh taste which brightens the flavor of whatever it's paired with that I just can't resist. I love how the lemon zest in these muffins enhances the natural sweetness of the raspberries.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup milk
6 TBS unsalted butter, melted
1 TBS lemon zest
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 paper cups, or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar. Add the milk, butter, and lemon zest and blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and gently mix with a spatula or dough whisk. Fold in the raspberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for an additional 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.