Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Homemade Granola

My mom used to make homemade granola for my brother and me and would pack it for my snack at school.  As you can imagine, I couldn't focus on my teacher but would rather think about what was waiting for me in my lunch box.  I've been craving that crunchy, sweet treat recently, and as though my mother-in-law could read my mind, she showed up one day with a bag of her own granola!  As I munched on it, memories came flooding back.  Now that I'm all grown up, I eat it sprinkled over a fresh fruit parfait.  My husband enjoys it mixed in with his cereal.  Pop-Pop eats it over berries.  My mother-in-law mixes it with yogurt.  This can be eaten as breakfast, lunch, or even as a snack - any way you choose it's sure to fill your belly and satisfy your taste buds.  How do you eat your granola?  Leave a comment!

8 cups oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbs. vanilla
Dried fruit (craisins, raisins, dried cherries, dried blueberries, etc.)
  1. Combine oats, coconut, wheat germ, almonds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, flaxseed meal, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a very large bowl.
  2. Add canola oil, water, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla.  Toss to coat evenly.
  3. Spread across two large baking sheets with higher sides.
  4. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, turning every 15 minutes.
  5. Allow to cool.  Add dried fruit according to how much (and what kind) you like.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Misty! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading my blog! :)

      Delete